At 7:56 PM -0500 3/9/2011, Bill Connelly wrote:
Anyone bought an LED/LCD monitor lately? 27", reasonably priced.

I'm looking at the ViewSonic VG2728WM 27", which is not LED backlit, but has the added feature of 90 deg rotation.

Looks like a very nice display!
<http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/graphic-series/vg2728wm.htm>

MY DA has a Geforce4MX in it, which has the VGA port, and I think that will work for the native 1920x1080 resolution.

I have the same GeForce4 MX in my QuickSilver. Works great, using the VGA port.

I've been wondering tho, if it's worth obtaining an ADC->DVI cable? Or perhaps a better video card?

Suggestions welcomed. There are so many different models with in a Brand, I get overwhelmed. Where might be a good source for purchase, and possibly for recommendations?

I'm a firm believer in eyeballs.  Trust No One, other than your own eyes!

Go to local stores and take a look at what they have. Find a display with color reproduction that looks good *to you*. And if you game a lot, check the response time too. Then shop around the 'net for the best price. Don't forget to talk to your local store with the best price in hand - they may be willing to match it!

Sites like macworld, cnet, techrepublic, etc have decent reviews.

...Um... A word about those built-in xtra gizmos. I really love my Samsung's display. Visually stunning, IMO. The xtras are ok, but not spectacular. It has a 4-port USB hub, speakers, microphone, and webcam. The hub works fine, even with an xtra long USB cable connecting it back to my Mac. The speakers are a bit tinny as-is. They ignore the equalizer in iTunes, but the eq in other audio apps work fine. No big dealio, as I also have some high quality external speakers that I prefer anyway. The microphone works great with Yahoo! Messenger. It even somehow limits the amount of ambient room noise it picks up. Haven't tried it with other apps yet. The webcam is quite nice, even in low light. It tilts up and down; wish it tilted side-to-side too. It works out-of-the-box in most apps, like Yahoo! Messenger, but *not* in iChat. To make it function in iChat, I had to install a $10 plug-in / driver called iUSBCam, which works, but makes iChat crash now and then. Perhaps this stuff works better in a newer OS; donno, as I'm running Tiger on the QuickSilver.

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.