Thanks for the help, guys! I've never used the System Monitor to see
what's going on, Andreas, so I'll have to figure out how to do that
next time the slowdown happens. I'm not much of a power user. I wonder
if that's the thing called Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder? I
tried it, and it's an interesting display, showing "real memory,"
"virtual memory," etc. I'll put it on the dock, and launch it next
time I have a Safari slowdown to see if I can get a clue as to the
cause. Just watching it as I go from website to website, it seems to
vary between 60 and 90 MB of Real Memory.

Good to know that quitting and restarting Safari will fix things,
though, at least temporarily. I'll try that too, the next time the
trouble occurs.

Yes, this Mac is online all day, and it seems to be a progressive
slowdown as the day goes on. I don't know what a memory leak is, but
I'm not keen on the idea of leaking anything. Sounds like this kind of
leak is not something easily plugged.

I went and got Click to Flash and installed it in Safari. So far, so
good, no slowdowns since I installed it, and it's interesting to see
Flash items being blocked by flat gray icons. Thanks for telling me
about that, Bruce. I'd never heard of it before.

Best,

Tom