On Apr 26, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Tina K. wrote:

On 2011/04/26 14:28, John Carmonne so eloquently wrote:
On Apr 26, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Tina K. wrote:

According to Mactracker both of the USB 1 17" iMacs use the GeForce4
MX but the earlier one came with 32 MB of VRAM whereas the second one
came with 64 MB VRAM.

Tina

  IMO EveryMac.com gives more  info than Matracker on all the Macs.
According to EveryMac.com Jeff's explaination is spot on.

I agree that EveryMac has more information, I just find a local database to be convenient.

Of course now it's a matter of determining which database is correct.

Tina

I have Mactracker too but for in-depth and more models I use Everymac daily and it seems to be updated by the minute In fact I can use it for a lot of info Apple keeps close to home, such as RAM specs and system specs.

Like Jeff's identifying factors are they're the same I use often when serial numbers don't work, that's not to say an individual didn't swap out some parts. Video cards can be a giveaway in a lot of machines.:-)

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda CA
92886 USA
From TiBook 867