On May 9, 8:38 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:
> On May 3, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Jonas Lopez wrote:
>
> > I have one too and want to get a DVD drive (superdrive) so
> > I can make dvd movies, what do I need? I have the 512 Mb
> > 10.4/10.5. Do I require more memory to cut a dvd? What
> > superdrive do you think would be good and where and cost.
>
> Any ATA DVD +/- R/RW will work, even dual layer ones, in
> 10.4 you may need to use Patchburn to get the OS to recognize it fully.
>
> Get it from the usual sources: Geeks.com,. newegg.com, Frys
> electronics (online or in person if there's one nearby), etc.

PATA DVDRW drives are getting hard to find.  They're not gone yet, but
they almost are.  Newegg still had an LG or Samsung model for about
$22 a week ago or so.   It's been on sale twice in the last three
weeks, so I suspect they're trying to clear inventory.

If you want a Pioneer DVR-118LBK (last of the Pioneer brand PATA
DVDRW) drives), the cheapest source I've found is <http://
store.overstock-king.com/product_info.php?products_id=234> at about
$30.  Most other places are either out of stock or want well over $50
for them.