I bought one that had this silicone material on it.... I took an exacto knife
and carefully removed it due to the fact that I thought it looked like someone
had put it on there after the fact. The heat sink came with it from apple,
albeit I can't figure out why? The new altered heatsink worked just fine after
I "cleaned the silicone off" . I imagine it will be just fine either way. Jeff