On May 14, 2011, at 1:25 AM, Ralph Green wrote:

>  I insist on no such thing.  I just steer clear of it.  No fear
> mongering is involved.  Just rational analysis.

Hence the use of rational, non-emotional words like 'treacherous' and 'His
Steveness' and 'control freak'. 8-/

The *hardware* cannot be set to do what you claim, because the control of TPM
is done by  SOFTWARE. (and in software I'm including any firmware or EFI code
to enable it because both EFI and firmware are re-writeable.)

RMS has problems with proprietary* OS'es and TPM because they could be used to
implement such controls as you describe, but the presence of a TPM chip alone
can not do that. The link to the Amit Singh article with accompanying source
code proves that. You can make the TPM module accept an arbitrary key pair for
verification.

Indeed, it should be possible to write a TPM driver that ensures that only
truly GPL'ed and open code can run.

It would involve some seriously gnarly (gnu-rly?) key management and
verification stuff and require servers to do that (akin to PGP key exchanges
and trust relationships) but it could be done. GPL violations could be handled
by revocation of the key. Boom! Violating code no longer runs. It's like
turning the Empire's strength against it.

So to speak. 8-P

*well,aside from his problems with proprietary software, full stop.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD