> I'd like to rather see this as a "get to know something new every day". ;-)
All right then!

> When you print something, the system reads the file and sends the DATA to
> the printer... regardless of the original file format it was saved in.
> (at least, that's what I understood)
You're right. I was still thinking in terms of Postscript printers,
but these days most printers just get a bitmap formatted properly for
them by the printer driver. That leaves me wondering what a printer's
CPU is doing these days.
Anyway, the OP might look into a RAM upgrade for that printer. That
would be kind of an answer to his question, after all.

> Saving an uncompressed TIF or an higly compressed JPG takes the same time (on
> modern Mac), but with the JPG you get 1/10th of the size (or less).
Yes, but I was talking of lossless compression, where tighter
compression requires more passes through the file. Photoshop doesn't
give a choice when saving TIFF files except for Layer Compression,
where "ZIP" takes about twice the time. But it's true, that's only a
few seconds difference on my 2x500 G4 (for a 2MB file).

> But it was 68030, 68040 and "tens of MHz" time! ;-)
> Nowadays, even a cell phone has more CPU power than a Mac Quadra... :-D
Yeah, I remember printing to graphic film with a IIci upgraded to 12MB
RAM, or was it 20, and a 100MB harddisk. And that's only 15 years
ago...