On 2011/06/13 11:17, Bruce Johnson so eloquently wrote:
On Jun 13, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Charles Lenington wrote:

>>  etc… ad nauseum.
>>
>>  Is there a wild card I can use to block all us.intellitext.com sites
>>  instead of making a separate entry with each one I come across?
>>
>>  Tina
>>

>  Try using "us.intellitxt.com" and uk.intellitxt.com (w/out quotes)
>
>  or
>
>  leave off the country (UK/US) intellitxt.com
>
>  That's what I do in Thunderbird.

Tried that, it doesn't work. Thank you anyway.

Thunderbird != hosts file, and a wild card will not work. For suggestions on
workarounds see:

<http://www.readmespot.com/question/f/118378/in-my--etc-hosts--file-on-linux-osx-how-do-i-do-a-wildcard-subdomain->

This is not simple, as it involves running your own DNS server.

However a deeper question is why are you trying to manage this sort of thing at
the hosts file level? I understand what you're accomplishing, but why are you
getting directed to those sites so often?

The sites that have added Intellitext's 'feature' end up loading a separate tab that I end up having to close. I believe it is some sort of markup (?) that turns select words in the text to clickable web links or ads.

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11
PB G4 15" HR-DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB VRAM 10.4.11