A few weeks ago, on this 8500 with a G3 in it and under OS 9.1, I placed an
alias to a a disk on my G4 into  "System Folder:Startup Items:"   The G4 is
running OS 10.3.9.  Actually I was testing something. It's not the way I
usually operate. But I do shut my machines down at night.

This morning I powered the machines up and got distracted.  I usually log in to
the G4 first because that machine is faster in the boot process. But this
morning I got to the 8500 first and it was asking for a username and password
before opening the disk on the G4.

So I typed them in and poked the enter key. Without watching I moved across the
room and the G4 machine expecting to log in there too.

I was already logged in!  My regular start-ups, BBedit and Terminal, were
running, SSH_AGENT was active and asking me to unlock my keys in a Terminal
window.

Somehow the mount operation asked for by the 8500 managed to do that. I don't
think that ought to be the case. There are others in the house whom I trust but
that might not be the case all of the time.  The G4 could have been located far
away. Does anyone know about this feature? Is it intentional? Is it that way
for more modern OS versions?

--
1801 - Joseph Marie Jacquard uses punch cards to instruct a loom to weave
"hello, world" into a tapestry.