On Jul 6, 3:07 pm, "Jane, (Portland, OR)" <janespra...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> Stats: PowerBook G4 (10.4); MacBook Pro (10.5); iMac (10.6)
>
> I have enabled Sharing with all 3 Macs. When I open the Finder window,
> the sidebar shows a list of computers under Shared. Since I use the
> iMac most, I see the MBP and PB. BUT another Mac has shown up! It is
> listed as macd49a20b8ac90. I have no idea who/what this computer is!
> I did a Get Info and the icon of an older screened Mac shows up and no
> other info. This invader is not always listed, as I thought it might
> be tied to the MBP or PB.
>
> I downloaded iStumbler, thinking I could find out more about this
> intruder. However, macd49a20b8ac90 does not show up. iStumbler has has
> 5 listings in the sidebar:
> Airport (shows my network and my neighbor's Windows network),
> Bluetooth (shows my mouse and MBP);
> Bonjour (shows local> jane_sprandos-macbook-pro, G4PowerBook and
> Jane's-Intel-iMac) ---- does NOT show anything about macd49a20b8ac90,
> Location (shows my network and neighbors)
> Log (does not show anything macd49a20b8ac90)
>
> Can anyone tell me who, what, where, how, or why this Mac is showing
> up?
>
> Jane

I checked the PowerBook and MacBook Pro System
Preferences>Network>Airport. The Airport tab has Airport, TCP/IP,
DINS, WINS, etc... No strange address on the PB. But I discovered this
on the MBP: under WINS>NetBIOS Name>MACD49a20b8ac90. It says
"MACD49a20b8ac90 is currently being used".

So......... the MBP seems to have 2 addresses. Why? Should I get rid
of the WINS? Or just leave everything alone?

Jane