At 7:34 AM -0700 8/12/2011, Don Wakefield wrote:
Leopard 10.5.8 on a trusty E-Mac
LaCie 1TB hd

How can this be used as a Time Machine (and boot Mac should that be necessary?)

You cannot directly boot from a Time Machine volume. The path for TM is to boot from your OS DVD then restore your HD from the TM data.

If you really want to boot directly on the external, then create a bootable clone of your system, using CarbonCopyCloner.

Personally, I don't trust TM as far as I can throw it. I'd just use CCC and its archiving feature. IN the alternative, partition the drive. Use one for TM and the other to hold a CCC'd bootable clone.

Is there a converter device which will make the LaCie usb hd look like Firewire to my Mac?

No.  Better to figure out why you gots the wrong model box.

Is there a software hack which will make the PPC Mac be happy to boot from a usb device?

Many powerpc based Macs will boot from USB.

Try googling on "emac usb boot"

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.