Hello Kris

On Aug 16, 6:58 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
>Under Keyboard tab "Keyboard Shortcuts" have you hit the "Restore
defaults" button?

tried that - no joy

> Do you have any additional software installed? Specifically the haxie
> called "Menu Master" allows the custom reassignment of menu keyboard
> commands.

yes I do have Menu Master installed but only one hotkey initiated
there-no shift-colon

> Some non-Apple keyboards have issues, and some Apple keyboards have
> firmware updates available. Have you tried an alternate keyboard to
> see if it's keyboard specific or system specific?

yes, tried alt keyboard - same issue

tried booting from alternate disc - problem goes away

wondering if I can restore from my backup disc somehow, last back up
two days ago
so not sure how to restore system files without losing new work (using
SuperDuper)