On Sep 26, 2011, at 10:18 AM, jbeque...@tconl.com wrote:

>> Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.8 Wed Jul 15 16:57:81 PDT 2009;
> root:xnu-1220.15.4/RELEASE_PPC
>
> much further down
>
> Jettionsing Kernel Linker.
> Resetting IOCatalouge.
> Matching service count = 1
> Matching service count = 7
> Matching service count = 7
> Matching service count = 7
> Matching service count = 7
> Matching service count = 7
> Matching service count = 9
> vvvvvvvvvvPowermac7.3: stalling for module
> dsk03: data underreum
> dsk03: data underreum
> dsk03: data underreum
> dsk03: data underreum
>
> fans have come on high

That looks a lot like a bad disk directory or a bad disk (or possibly just a
corrupted kext in the wrong place.)

Boot from the system disk and run Disk repair. If Disk Repair can fix it, or
says there's nothing wrong, it's time to try an archive&install.

>From here what you do depends on the state of your data backups:

If Disk repair cannot fix it, and your data is backed up, it's probably simpler
to just reformat the drive and re-install from your backups. If all that
doesn't work it's likely a failing drive and you need to replace it.

If your backups AREN'T current (or at all) Get DiskWarrior and see if that will
work to rebuild your directory.

If THAT works, personally I'd go buy a new drive, install OS X on it and
migrate the data from your old one, because very often this sort of thing is
the harbinger of a failing drive, particularly if this is the original drive in
the thing.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona