At 1:48 AM -0700 9/19/2011, QuoVadis wrote:
Airport card to fit inside my G4 QS (2002 model).

The problem is the reception: [WAP far away on another floor and electronics gear nearby]

It's worth trying the airport card elsewhere, as you describe...

But, fwiw, 802.11 is pretty much a "one wall" wi-fi solution. That you're getting 300 Kbps on the QS, given you description of floors + all the gear interfering, is pretty good.

Try shutting down the gear and turn off any flourescent lights. See if that makes a diff.

Perhaps a repeater might help... Set up another WAP positioned half way, to bridge the connection.

Or you could replace the Airport base with a higher powered / office-grade WAP.

Or go wired.

...We have about the same situation here. Tried bridging, but the housemates gave up on wi-fi anyway. Even with a clear shot to the WAP, nothing beats a hardwire to a gigaswitch.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.