Thanks for the response. I’m on Digest Mode, and somehow I got these
only today.

There are two issues here: how to install onto the iBook, and why the
iBook doesn’t see a HD in a connected G4 2x500 in Target disk mode.

I did the install booting the G4 from the DVD and installing onto the
iBook in Target disk mode, but that install didn’t work: it froze
quickly, when I was working with Disk Utility, or just in the Finder.
Where can I find the error log, so I can try and get a clue what was
going on there?

Then I tried the other way around (because I suspected the installed
system was specific for G4 and gave problems on G3) but as described,
the iBook saw one of the internal hard drives on the G4, but not the
other one (which is under 128GB) or the DVD.
At this point I can’t be sure anymore, but I really think I have done
an install this way some time ago, to another G4 that had no DVD
drive.

Now I’m starting to think the DVD is faulty: I Carbon-copied it onto
an external harddisk, then installed to the iBook from that harddisk
connected over Firewire. The check during boot goes through without
finding problems, with that harddisk and also when I boot the G4 from
the DVD, but still.

I’m going to Carbon-copy another installed (and working!) system to
the iBook. If it works, I blame the DVD, if not, I don’t know anymore.
As far as I know, there are no firmware issues involved, but right now
it’s just as if this iBook doesn’t work with 10.4.