The 10.4 to 10.5 transition was where Apple began to take away features.
There are a laundry list of items, but most notably here (at least to me)
is the loss of the Classic environment, and the ability to run pre-OS X
applications.

The fact that you are still on PPC shows a willingness to forgo support
from Apple.  I'm in the same boat.

If there is nothing else of value here, make sure you have good backups
of everything if you do decide to go from 10.4 to 10.5.  I, personally,
have never had an issue upgrading to higher level of OS.  Going backwards
is another story.

Please post a follow up on what you ultimately decide.  I have taken
another route to keep all of my old applications going, and I am curious
how other do.

Jerry