At 2:04 PM -0700 10/25/2011, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
I have some friends that I would like to be able to access my computer over the web "easily"... to be able to get at anything they put their minds to... is there an easy way of doing this? without the need for special software or complicated instructions? maybe a one-time "setup" of some kind?

"access".  You mean to run apps on your computer or just to get/put files?

If the former, then you have screen sharing built-in.

If the latter, then you can use file sharing. And as Bruce points out, a service like DynDNS will provide you with a fixed name so people don't have to know your IP address.

A MUCH easier solution for sharing files is to use shared Dropbox folders. It totally eliminates the need to play around with Apple's file sharing, DynDNS, etc.

(My Dropbox plug from a recent thread).
Dropbox is a great app! Wonderful as a cloud backup/sync solution, and great for sharing files with friends. Works on Tiger thru Lion, iOS, Windows, etc. Me and mine use it every day! It's even replaced sneakernet here at home (mac vs pc issues)!

I strongly recommend using the latest release candidate of the 1.2.x line. The full release should be shortly... A beta of the 1.3 line has been started, but it's so new the bits are still damp.

(shameless plug, my referral link)
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTYxMDMyNjk

And the latest release candidate is available here:
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=45949

- Dan.
--
- Be Prepared!