----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Java 1.6
Date:    Monday, 31. October 2011
From:    John Ruschmeyer <jrusc...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> > "Someone correct me, but I believe Java becomes "Intel only" at some
> > point ..."

“At some point” is nicely put.
 It started while 10.5 was the recent version, and Apple refused to put some
work into making the Intel-only Java 6 available for the PowerPC users as
well.

But, let's be fair. Apple donated all the Apple/Mac OS X-specific stuff to the
open source community, so they *can* (but: will they?) make a PowerPC build
for themselves. Thank you.

> > yeah it does, not right considering they for years talked of it as though
> > it was completely platform independent, it happened recently. I ran in to
> > this same problem recently wanting the latest and greatest on my ppc
> > mac........  derp apparently not.
>
> IIRC, Apple required a minimum of 10.5.x and a 64-bit system for Java 6.
> This meant that the G5 was the only PPC to get Java 6.

Nope. 64-Bit and Intel. PPC is completely out of the loop…

> I believe that there is/was some community attempt to port Java 6 based on
> OpenJDK to Mac OS X. See http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/code/macosx/

There seems to be very little interest to port Java on the Mac. Apple stopped
it with Java 1.6 aka Java 6. The last Apple provided for the PowerPC is 1.5.
It has nothing to do with 32-Bit or 64-Bit, it's just the architecture (ppc,
x86, arm, sparc, …), and in particular: the OS integration. There need to be
some hooks for Mac OS X, that need porting, which needs time and efforts.
Developers focus on the “here and now”, which is Intel-only, and not PowerPC.

What I did find, although BETA, so use with caution: SoyLatte, which is
basically also focused on Java 6/7 for Mac OS X 10.4/10.5 on Intel, has a
build of OpenJDK 7 (1.7?) for the PowerPC too:
http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/

I never tried it. Keep in mind, that it's very old (2009). There must be
dozens of open security holes, that may be actively exploited out in the open
& wide internet. And, we don't know if Java 7 is 100% Java 6 compatible (at
least in this early Beta state).

I recommend to *not* *use* *it*, when your machine is connected and used with
the internet! It's hard to control which program uses it once installed.

On the other hand, if you need to run a Java program that you can trust to be
non-malware (so it won't “try anything”…), there won't be a problem with this
Beta version of Java, except that it may be unstable and/or incomplete.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250