As Eric stated before, hacking MacOSX's kernel is not something most people would suggest or think of doing to get more speed, specially the PPC Mac kernel. Some of my friends have modified faster ATI Radeon video cards, like the 9800Pro, or FireGL X3, or 800XT to work in the older AGP slot in your MDD G4 PowerMac and reflashed PC versions of those cards (which can be bought for much less) with a Mac bios file. I think that maybe the 800XT is the fastest video card you will be able to convert to use in your MDD G4 PowerMac and you already have the RAM maxed out at 2gb, so the only other thing I could suggest is to get a SATA controller card to use faster & larger hard drives.

Not sure what else I would suggest for speeding up MacOSX on your MDD 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac, but if you want some real speed from your OS on that computer, take a look at MorphOS2.7 at http://www.morphos- team.net/ or read about the "Lightning OS" at this article on OS News http://www.osnews.com/story/15209/

Lastly, I have the exact G4 PowerMac as yours and I ordered a Dual 1.42GHz G4 processor board to replace the Dual 1.25GHz G4 CPU's, which I am thinking of over-clocking to 1.5GHz or 1.67GHz. I think the Dual 1.42GHz stock Apple part with it's 2mb of L3 Cache over clocked is a better choice than a Sonnet Dual 1.8GHz with zero L3 Cache.

Good luck with your speed up efforts on your MDD PowerMac and let me know what you decide to do. Messing around with older systems and trying to get the most out of them is a fun hobby.

Regards,
David