on 11/28/11 8:10 AM, JohnCarmonne at carmo...@aol.com wrote:

> LaCie doesn't make hard drives they only make the enclosure.

IIRC, LaCie external HD's originally contained Quantum HD's - back in the
day when 40MB and 80MB was alot, and SCSI was the standard! The drives we
had lasted for years past their obsolescence, with daily use. Whereas I
can't even keep track of the Western Digital drives I've had fail.

Wasn't Quantum was absorbed by Maxtor? Maxtor HD's in my experience have
lasted pretty well also. Of course, YMMV.

Online backup seems like a good insurance policy to me against local data
loss due to fire etc;  although I'm not making much use of it yet, other
than mailing a few important files to my gmail account - which makes no
guarantees.

Barry