At 3:54 PM -0800 12/7/2011, jan wrote:
As I recall, I queried about an error message saying my IceCam2 was in
use by another application. Not sure what was so offensive about that.
Can you clarify?

Your original posting in this thread, "USB 2.0 PCI Card", does not mention "in use by another application". Your posting generally mentions several devices then asks for hardware installation instructions. But you don't tell us exactly what model Mac you have, nor do you mention exactly what model USB card you've bought. Please fully read what's below -- I've left it fully intact.

Without you providing details, we cannot provide specific instructions or even point you to them. You have done the equivalent of telling us you have a car with a 350cc engine and are asking how to install some doohickey. Knowing what engine you have does not tell us the make and model of the car, nor the make and model of doohicky.

WRT "in use by another application" ... that means exactly what it says. Some application you're running has already grabbed the device. Since it's a cam, perhaps you're running iChat, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, or any other the other dozen apps that talk to cams? ...again, cannot give you specifics because you have not provided details.

- Dan.

On Dec 4, 10:35 pm, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
 At 5:45 PM -0800 12/4/2011, jan wrote:

 >I have a G4 PowerPC

 A G4 is a type of PowerPC processor.  This doesn't tell us what model
 Mac you have, so any advice we give is pretty much shooting in the
 dark...  You've told us the type of engine but nothing about the car.

If you're not sure what Mac you have, start here:http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_processor/powerpc-g4-powerpc-7400-...

 >and even with the powered hub i added some of my devices aren't
 >working (iPhone, IceCam2)

 Explain please "aren't working".  Exactly what happens or doesn't happen?

 >Isn't this because ultimately the 2.0 usb is plugged into a 1.1 port?

 USB 2 devices are fully backward compatible with USB 1.1.  The only
 issues you should see are in speed.  IOW, your phone will take longer
 to transfer data.  A webcam will only respond with lower frame rates.
 12 Mbps vs 480 Mbps (raw).

 Often, when there are USB problems, error messages are thrown into
 system.log.  (Assumin OS X, but you haven't said what OS you're
 running!)  The system.log may be viewed with Console.app.

 >I purchased an iogear that was recommended not to cause sleep issues
 >and am clueless as how to install it. Can anyone walk me through the
 >procedure?

 Iogear makes good hardware.  The card should have come with
 installation instructions.  Perhaps Iogear's site has 'em too.

 How to install it depends on which Mac you have.  In general, if you
 have a Power Mac G4, and you have a PCI bus slot available...
 Shutdown the machine then, while grounded: open it up, select the
 slot you want to use, remove the slot cover from the back of the
 machine associated with that slot, firmly install the card, and screw
 down the end flange, that contains the ports (which should line up
 where that cover was).  ...There are quite a few sites that have
 detailed illustrated instructions.  But again, it helps to know
 exactly what Mac you gots!

 HTH,
 - Dan.
 --
 - Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml

- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.