On Dec 16, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Paxton wrote:

Recently I bought a Sony 350 Digital 8 camcorder with a firewire out
that I am hoping will work for my old Hi8 tapes. I have a lot to edit
also.

I don't know if the Digital 8 camcorder will play Hi8 tapes or not, but I do know that most Sony Digital 8 can be made to "pass-thru" analog video and output digital video as if they are an analog-to- digital converter device. You plug-in the analog device to the RCA jacks on the digital camcorder and use a Firewire cable for the output. On some lower model camcorders you need to modify the firmware to enable the pass-thru function. This isn't commonly known, but most Sony digital camcorders within a range of identical looking models are actually identical camcorders with more functions enabled thru the firmware only. You can take a cheaper model and modify it to the same as a more expensive model if you know the correct modification to firmware.