On 2012/01/02 20:53, Kevin so eloquently wrote:
Recently I have not been able to access a partition on a Firewire hard drive.
When
I click on the icon for the partition on my desktop or in the devices list in
the
sidebar of the Finder, the Finder seems to blink and all of the icons on the
desktop as well as the finder bar up top all disappear for a second and then
comeback leaving me without a way to browse the items on that partition. The 2
other partitions of the drive are just fine. I canot open files within a program
to acces the drive either, say open up Text Edit and click on that drive to
chose
a file it simply crashes the application instantly.

I can see the drive in Disk Utility and System Profiler. Disk Utility says it is
fine when I repair it.

I've restarted, shutdown, disconnected and turned on and off the FW drive.
Started
with the drive on and connected. Started up in Safe mode. Reset PRAM. Nothing.
Repaired permissions on the Mac HD, deleted com.apple.finder.plist and still
nothing.

The machine is a 2010 Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini running SL 10.6.8 8GB RAM. It
also
afects my 17 " 1.5Ghz AL G4 Powerbook running Tiger 10.4.11 with 2 GB RAM. On
that
machine it actually makes the Finder Icon and title bar blink infinitely without
letting me do anything except disconnect the drive after which all is well.

The drive is a 500GB  Seagate 7200 rpm OWC Mercury On The Go 2.5" ATA in a
FW800/USB2 enclosure connected via FW800. There are 3 180GB partitions. The
drive
is 2 years old. I'll be contacting OWC in the morning.

It seems odd that two different machines are experiencing the same condition, have you done any maintenance on them recently? Perhaps the free Applejack or the very un-free DiskWarrior could be of help.

Tina

--

Acceleron: HP Presario 2.8GHz Celeron D 2GB RAM Discrete graphics XP Pro
Luxo Jr: iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11