bruce--i should have thanked you for the link.  i found my way to
badcaps.net, a very interesting site.

i removed the power supply, and tested the outputs.  i got 11.56v on
both "12v" outputs.  that leads me to believe the problem is with the
caps on the logic board, which there is a kit for on the above site.
i'm considering whether my soldering skills are up to the task.

btw, the person that gave me this kept the HD, but also kept the
temperature sensor that is glued to it.  will the computer boot
without the temp sensor plugged in?  if it won't i will try to find a
pinout for that connector and make a jumper.

thanks

ken