On Jan 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM, Kevin wrote:

> RE: 17" G4 1.5Ghz Powerbook (2006) and an Intel Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz
> (2010) both with maxed out RAM and most current OS.
>
> Is there a safe way to keep all of my FW devices physically connected
> so that all I need to do is power on/off the device when needed?

Yes, just keep 'em plugged in. Be aware some enclosures need power to properly
daisy-chain connections.

> Are FW800 to FW400 adapters and/or cables a bad idea (I'm thinking of
> people who rip out the ground on a 3 prong power cable)?

No they're not. be aware, though that a FW400 device on a FW800 port will
degrade the entire chain to FW400.

> I use 5 OWC FW drives for various things like Audio and Video
> production and Archives. I'd like to be able to connect them all and
> not have to be connecting disconnecting all the time. I'm aware that
> FW can support up to like 64 devices via daisy chain however I'm not
> sure if that is recommended in the real world or if that is only
> theoretical.

Very theoretical. Realistically more than ~8 or 10 on a chain is REALLY pushing
it, and all of those devices need to be self-powered.

Seee: <http://www.1394ta.org/consumers/FAQ.html#FW800DaisyChain>

> It scares me personally.

It shouldn't, it's a standard feature of the firewire standard. Remember, FW
was adopted as a replacement for SCSI, and one of the design goals was decent
daisy-chaining performance.

> OWC told me over the phone they
> only recommend 3 FW devices in a chain (Mac, Device 1 and Device2).

That's extremely conservative, probably specced for bus-powered devices.

> Naturally I've been thinking of a powered FW hub but I don't see many
> on the market, specifically FW800.

They are pricey, but Google says:

<http://tinyurl.com/6ncxt2g> Also this:
<http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Repeater-Power-Voltage-Automatically/dp/B0057M1KFU>
 which looks clearly designed for studio use, judging from the mounting
brackets...

> I also have a FW400 audio interface and a FW400 DVD-/+RW drive (both
> not bus powered) to throw into the mix!

As I said, you will want to segregate the FW400 and FW800 devices on different
ports.

> What are my options, if any? I'm now down to one FW800 port on the
> Mini from having a FW400 and FW800 (though not sure if they're
> discrete buses) on the Powerbook. Buying a Mac Pro even used, is not
> an affordable option for me. Going back to my GigE G4 with a PCI FW400/
> USB2 card is also not much of a solution.
>
> --

Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy