----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Bad Video Card?
Date:    Saturday, 28. January 2012
From:    Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> > I used a Radeon X1900 Mac Edition which had the same issue.
>
> Including the burning electronics smell?

Okay, you have a point here.

> People are focusing on the memory discrepancy without thinking about 'Hey,
> it's almost ON FIRE!'

My card did not smell. It just stopped working in my G5 so I’m now back to the
original non-upgraded GeForce 6600LE.

> Electronics that have been in use should not smell like that.  Brand-new,
> never-powered-up devices may smell like that from residual surface gunk
> left over from manufacturing, but that should be long, long gone in this
> case.

You’re right of course.

I wouldn’t use this card again as it may break the entire system “when it
goes”. In my case I would just try it in one of my spare G4’s and leave the
case open to see what’s going on… If it breaks the entire system, well, since
I have too much of them G4’s anyway…

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250