At 2:16 PM -0800 1/29/2012, Jonas Lopez wrote:
PLEASE HELP ME, URGENT REQUEST ----

"urgent" is, of course, the keyword that triggers GoogleH*ll.

(edited for brevity)
  Thu, 2 Feb 2012 07:55:42 -0800 (PST)

On G4 running OS 10.4.11, doing nothing noteworthy, I shut down last night and this morning upon attempting to start up the following was experienced:
[being dumped into the CLI]

Welcome to Darwin!
hprinter:~ mrbill$ (here I can enter, but none of your words work -- how do we get out of Darwin???

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT????

Darwin is formal name of the Unix underbelly of OS X.

The environment you're seeing is pretty much what you'd get if you booted into Single-User mode (cmd-S held down), but you've logged into your account instead of "root".

Something be foo with the boot, obviously. Darwin booted, but then the stuff that makes up the full environment of OS X didn't load. Could be a pram setting issue (that told it to stop there). Could be a general file system problem on the boot volume. Could be corrupted boot files.

(stop when something works)
Replace your PRAM Battery.

Try zapping your pram / resetting your nvram.

Try booting into single-user mode and running AppleJack.

Try booting on an OS DVD and repairing the boot volume.

Try booting from another HD. If that works, then the problem is the drive, not something else in your system.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.