> The speed of the RAM isn't the issue, it's whether or not it's "low-
> density" or "high-density" RAM. The G3 requires low-density meaning
> modules that are populated on both sides by chips, 16 chips total. If
> your modules only have 8 chips on one side they're high density and
> should only recognize as half their actual size. Once you get low-
> density RAM everything should be OK.

High-capacity sticks are double-sided with low-density SDRAM chips (16
chips).

Low-capacity sticks are single-sided also with low-density SDRAM chips (8
chips).

256 MB sticks were not available when Apple developed the specification
for the Beige series; only 128 MB, maximum, sticks were then available,
whereas 64 MB was the most commonly available. So, Apple wrote the
specification for then-emerging 128 MB stick standard.

The specification states 384 maximum RAM (using single-sided, low-density
SDRAM sticks), but, in truth, the actual maximum RAM is 768 MB (using
double-sided, low-density SDRAM sticks).

It does not matter whether the sticks are single- or double-sided.

It DOES matter that the sticks are all low-density.

256 MB sticks which are high-density will report themselves as 128 MB.

I suppose there are also pathological cases where 128 MB sticks which are
high-density will report themselves as 64 MB.