I have a G4 MDD dual 1.25 which I use for the internet and mail etc - has
four internal hard drives and over a period of time the cpu temp has risen
to the point where even at idle the main fan kicks up a noisy notch - the
cpu temp for the kick up seems to be around the 56 celsius mark - idle cpu
temp is around 58C and my HD closest to the cpu has a temp of 43C compared
to the other three in the low thirties.
    The increased fan noise annoyed me to the point of trying to do
something about it so yesterday I removed the heatsink from the cpu, cleaned
the arctic silver from the heatsink and cpu heads and applied arctic
ceramique instead as I had some lying around. I had little hope that it
would offer substantial improvement so I also shopped around for a quieter
main fan. The arctic blurb quotes up to 25 operating hours for maximum heat
transfer effect - which I haven't reached yet - but today the little devil
of a cpu is idling below 55C - the nearest HD is below 40C and the noisy fan
no longer kicks in at all. Half hour of work saved me the price of a new
main fan and the grief of fitting it. I ought to mention that I am well used
to heatsink removal - but it's hardly rocket science.

Pete