Ok, so, is there some minimum OS 9 requirement for a G4 DA to boot
into 9? Here is what occured. I found an old hard drive of mine that
had 9.1 on it, and I installed it in the G4. Upon restart, the hard
drive was visible in the Finder; in fact, 2 drives appeared--- I think
i must have made a small emergency boot partition on this drives years
ago [2004 is when I last used it].

Now, first question. Was I supposed to press some sort of reset button
or cuda switch when I installed the drive? Is it too late? I see 2
small buttons on the front of the mac under the power button.

2nd question. The Panther install this mac has did not seem to have
any OS 9 on it whatsoever. I had copied a 9 i had on an iBook, but, it
gave error messages launching classic so I gave up on it. So tonite, I
renamed that 9 to previous system folder, then copied the system
folder from my old hard drive to my boot drive. It launched Classic
but did not want to launch Classilla--said could not find 'find by
content' and other missing components. I REALIZED that 7 years ago, I
had turned off a lot of extensions; so I had to turn all on in the
Classic preferences. Ok, so now, Classic is running fine, but, still
no botting into 9 even when I set the System Preferences to boot into
9 from the correct folder.