At 1:32 PM -0400 3/12/2012, Illirik Smirnov wrote:
I'm considering oil-cooling my DP 2.5 PMG5.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_2.5_dp.html

This would involve putting the computer (sans ports, hdd, cd) in a tub of mineral oil. It doesn't conduct electricity, and as such would be perfect for this use. It has been done many times with PCs; does anyone know anything that may keep the G5 from working optimally?

hum. wow. I've heard of this being done but have never seen it. Intriguing idea. Personally, I'd never do it... At some point, I'd have to go in there to fix or add something and I cannot abide by oily slimy things! blech! lol

Are you experiencing any particular issue with your Power Mac that has led you to this?

If the heat transfer is really good, it might make for some overclocking opportunities! Can a Power Mac G5 be overclocked?

I know that the liquid cooled G5 bricks are known to have problems as they get older. I'm thinking going whole-system oil cooled like this might maybe be a solution ... depending on how the leaking liquid coolant mixes with the mineral oil. OTGH, it might be better to oil an air-cooled G5.

Extending the USB and FW to the top of the tank should be easy. I wouldn't bother with the SATA interface until you got everything else working. Booting off the 800 Mbps Firewire2 instead of 1.5G SATA is good enough for testing.

Most PCs are fairly open in their design. Slap in a few fans, and there's good air flow. But the Power Mac G5 is tightly compartmentalized. I wonder if the fluid flow will still be ok? It's not enough that fluid flows. It has to actually circulate to the radiator system. Otherwise, the oil will happily distribute the heat evenly through that compartment, making it hotter and hotter. I've never gutted a PM G5. Are there any dust filters in there?

I would check any/all parts for labels and such. Puget Systems has a FAQ that mentions the oil dissolved the gum, loosening the labels.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Do you have/need the G5 service / take-apart manuals?

An interesting project... If you do this, please keep us in the loop! I'd love to know how it goes!