On Mar 19, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Dan wrote:

this worked great... or seems to be in the process of doing so.
Inside the SPOTLIGHT preferences I 'prevented' all the attached and internal drives, then undid that. It is now indexing, the SPOTLIGHT icon is active, and when I click on that icon it indeed tells me it's doing its job. My FINDER results for searching for certain files has been Hugely Slow and flakey. Now I think I know why.

Ok. That may work, but it might not. Dragging a volume into the Splotchlight system preferences creates a filter that prevents those items from being returned in results. It *does not* physically erase a corrupted index.

hmmnn...

So, if that doesn't work, use the mdutil directly, as described in that article and the various threads on this list. (which would be the point of me suggesting you check our archives, in the first place).

I got right at the archives and was going through the descriptions of both that and other references to working this through the command- line approach (one that always gets my fear factor working!). So far the system seems to be seriously working on doing things right. The same activity on the drives, but the SPOTLIGHT icon is ALWAYS showing that it knows what;s happening. this NEVER happened before.

Fingers Crossed.

JV