On Apr 23, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Douglas Mencken wrote:

about trying to shoehorn my future G5 into a Mac Pro case

Well, Mac Pros are already "in the case of Power Mac G5", slightly
modified (2 optical drives).

Anyway, if you do want "Low Power" PowerPC ;), I'd recommend getting
Late 2005 Power Mac G5 model and under-clocking it to, say, 1.2GHz (it
would be half, i.e. 0.6GHz, in "normal use" mode). This would give you
room temperature of your CPUs.

If power usage is a real issue and PPC apps are needed then a Power Mac is the way to go. My G5 Dual 2.7 idles at 310 Watts plus the AC required to keep the room inhabitable, where as my Mac Pro is 95 Watts, If running Leopard or Snow Leopard with Rosetta your PPC apps will run. But Lion kills Rosetta. :-(

John Carmonne
Placentia CA 92870
From iMac Core Duo 2.0