I willingly accept criticism for my mistakes here, so please be nice.

"Mac User #330250" <macuser330...@gmx.net> Apr 22 01:52PM +0200

>Which one do you have?

 A dual 1.0 gHz FW400 MDD
>My G5 Dual-Core 2.0 GHz did draw around 90W/h when idle and around 130 when
>doing something under Mac OS X 10.5.8.

My MDD pulls 155-170 watts (monitor off) just twiddling it's thumbs. It is _massively_ hot. There are burn warnings on the heatsink for good reason. I've been burned by it before. It is a bad case design for cooling, which is why the power supplies on these pop there capacitors. Badcaps.com has a lot of information on this. Not rant too much, but 90 to 130W would be nice.
>Look at the Geekbench performance figures of Mac systems:

I thank you for your effort here, nice review.

>In other words, if you want to go for power consumption, either accept low
>performance: this unfortunately won't have you watch YouTube videos.

                See below
>Or go for Intel-Macs.

>Or build your own Hackintosh. (CAUTION: may be illegal in your country!)

I've thought, and researched both of these for several years, but my software is all PPC.
I also have a philosophical and moral objection to IntelĀ© and I recognize the G5, as I did when it came out as one of, if not the best cases for cooling, quietness, and form of all time.

>I don't know where to find power figures, but you can get performance figures at
>Geekbench: http://browse.geekbench.ca/mac-benchmark/

                Thank you very much.

>> I plan to use a 9800 XT or Pro (I have 3) and am also interested in
>> what those draw, as I might also use a flashed RIVA TNT.

>So this is the reason you want a Power Mac, hah?

At first I was a little insulted, but then I realized you had a good point. However, again, My MDD is hot, loud, and unreliable.

>In terms of performance you don't lose a lot compared to the G5s, except the >liquid cooled models, which will introduce new problems -- especially on old
>systems.

Agreed. The G4 CPU is good but hamstrung as a dual on this motherboard and the video is just barely capable.

>With the Dual-Core PCI-Express G5 you won't be able to use your Radeon
>graphics cards though.
Exactly, that is one major reason for me staying with the PCI or PCI- X models (excluding cost). The other is that I would like to be able to transfer my memory and PCI cards to the G5 to, again, keep the changeover as inexpensive as possible. In addition, I want to finally make full use of my 8X AGP card(s)

>If you get a G5 in a G5 case, what's the BIG difference to the Mac Pro case
>really? Or do you desperately need a second optical drive?

On second thought, your right. I don't need a second ODD or four disk drives. I've tried 2-5 drive combinations in the past. They are problematic and seem to die sooner than two drives together.
                I'm going to stay in the single or dual 1.8 to 2.0 gHz PCI(-X)
area.

Cheers,
Andreas aka Mac User #330250

"Stephen E. Bodnar" <sbod...@gci.net> Apr 22 04:54AM -0800

>I hate to break the news to you, but in general, G5 PowerMacs are
>gas-guzzlers and run pretty hot. I had a 2.0 dual for a while, and it etc.
                Thanks, Stephen.  I am leaning towards a single CPU G5.

Eric Hall <jester_...@yahoo.com> Apr 22 06:23AM -0700

>I think you could probably get a used Intel Mac mini for less then then $350 fairy easily. They come up >on the LEM swap list frequently. You can post there and see what people have. You may be >pleasantly surprised.

This was actually my first choice, but they cost too much for me and I can't be certain they have enough video power for me. The other thing I did not mention before is that I _must_ tinker, experiment and redesign, which is why i know how badly the MDD case is designed and executed. It _is_ an echo chamber and actually runs noticeably cooler without the plastic cladding.

John Ruschmeyer <jrusc...@gmail.com> Apr 22 09:50AM -0400
>Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the Riva TNT OSX- compatible or >are you talking about wanting a system what will run under Mac OS 9.2?

Good question. I assumed from the theMacelite page that I could, but I haven't actually done any research on it. Thanks for the observation.

Wayne Stewart <waynejstew...@gmail.com> Apr 22 08:23AM -0700

>You didn't say but I'm guessing you want to be able to use some older
>apps. You're not likely worried about PPC OSX apps as they'll work up
>to 10.6. More likely OS 9 apps. There is a way to use OS 9 apps with
>intel machines. There's SheepShaver or Basilisk II. Lots opf info on
>those on the net.

Right, but I've also read lots of cursing concerning the use of OS 9 emulators on Intel machines. What wasn't said before is that I have a 9600 that I keep for my OS 9 needs and old hardware. I do want the G5 for OS X 10.4 and compatibility mode. I've always found the ability to run two generations of OS fascinating and fun and I HAVE to have it. Thanks, though.
Roger Faulkner <rfaulkne...@gmail.com> Apr 22 02:09AM -0700

>Are you looking for a tower or iMac?
A tower only. My dad has an iMac. They have their place and they are marvelous in it. Again, I just HAVE to tinker. Thanks very much to all of you for your effort and time. I hope to be able to help some of you in the future.

                Grizzledgiant (Bob)