On May 2, 2012, at 11:57 PM, Mac User #330250 wrote:

>> If you disable all that, you should be happy.
>
> If you can live with a different backup software, where you decide when to
> actually perform the backup (preferrably when you're not working on the
> machine, and when you do _not_ require all the performance it's got for your
> task) then you will be happier having Time Machine disabled: on a *slow*
> machine.
>
> Time Machine is nice: you can forget about backups, because it will do them
> for you all the time. This is very fortunate on a fast machine, but it will
> but the brakes on on a slow machine.

You can change the timing of when Time Machine runs by editing a .plist:

<http://www.trickyways.com/2010/04/how-to-change-time-machine-backup-interval-on-mac-os-x/>

Back when I had a ram-starved iMac, Time Machine would cause a big hit, so I
set it to a 24 hour interval, and logged in remotely very late one night and
fired it off. After that it ran every 24 hours at that time, so it did my
backups when I wasn't there.

Not much help if you need every cycle you can get at 3 AM, too, but if you're
pounding it *that* hard, what the heck are you using such an underpowered
machine for?

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona