I didn't know about this downloading, but yes, OpenType fonts are
large, so that could be what's going on.
Please send us (or me) some of the links, so I can see if they are
slow here too, and what kind of fonts they use: website-specific ones,
or more standard ones.

Then again, there are many different ways to handle fonts; your
browser may have settings where you can force it to use only certain
fonts, so the download may be avoidable.
Or: if these are standard fonts, some browsers may include them
already during installation, and then those browsers won't slow down
on these pages.

OpenType fonts are not really useful on the Mac, because the specific
OpenType features work only in Windows; Mac uses AAT, a different font
technology, at least up to Snow Leopard AAIK. That may be the reason
why Safari doesn't have those fonts installed.

In short: see what happens in a different browser; a Windows-
originated one like Firefox/TenFourFox could be a good choice.