Part of this needs to invoke the 1 step removed rule, but partly it is a
general question as well.

I have purchased my first intel, a MacPro 3.1 on eBay.  There has been some
delay in the shipping because the origional owner wanted to be sure of
security, and ran a 35 pass erase on both HDDs, from the leopard install disk.
One drive is the origional and the other is a 1TB.

My understanding is that this writes 0s then 1s alternately to every drive
sector for 35 passes. As this is way more than years of normal ussage would do,
what can I expect for drive life out of these things.