Thanks loads guys. In running around the web reading about VoltaicHD,
I kept seeing references to another program called ClipWrap, and many
people seem a lot happier with ClipWrap, so I read some reviews about
that program too. VoltaicHD costs $40, and ClipWrap costs $50, so
maybe you get what you pay for. Buying either program would be a dang
sight cheaper than buying an Intel Mac and Final Cut Pro 6, just to be
able to use video from a AVCHD camera.

I downloaded trial versions of both VoltaicHD (Version 3.0.0) and
ClipWrap (2.5.1), but I can't tell much about them just by looking at
their conversion windows. Not having an ACVHD camera (yet), I have
nothing to convert. However, there are some demos on YouTube that make
both programs look good. ClipWrap appears to be a lot faster in the
conversions.

As to the resolutions of the video, so far I've been able to do
everything I want with standard definition. I've never worked with
high definition video, and I fear HD files would fill up my hard
drives too fast anyway, not to mention probably slowing Final Cut down
with intolerable rendering and exporting times on a G5. I'll have to
check to see whether Final Cut 5 can even handle HD. If it can't,
that's OK with me right now. I just want to get the more modern optics
and greater reliability of a tapeless video camera, although I'm sure
the future of video is HD, and it would be nice to have a camera that
can do that if I ever want to.

One thing I found, or didn't find, was any basic instructions about
how to get video from an AVCHD videocam into the Mac. So I'll ask
here: when you hook an AVCHD camcorder to a G5 running 10.5.8 (with
either a USB or firewire cable, or maybe a card reader?), does it just
create a folder on the desktop full of .mt files, the same way a card
reader for a digital still camera just pops a folder full of .jpegs on
the desktop? If so, then I assume you just drop those files into the
window of either VoltaicHD or ClipWrap, and let it convert the .mts
into .movs or whatever best works in Final Cut. Is that correct?