John Carmonne wrote:
> On May 24, 2012, at 11:06 PM, a1 wrote:
>
> > So I ended up getting a dual 1.8 G5, 2 gigs of ram [4x512] and a 500gb
> > hard drive. There looks like 4 open ram slots. I found this G5 locally
> > and for only $60, so my upgrade problems are solved for the moment.
> >
> > G5 came with no Airport card or antenna, one of the reasons for the
> > low price. A while back I recall reading a suggestion that it might be
> > better and faster to install a pci wirless card instead of Airport.
> > Anyone have suggestions on a specific card for a good price?
> >

> This is the card I have in my G5 Dual 2.7 it is seen as an AirPort card and
> no software required. You may find one a little cheaper.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Wireless-WiFi-Card-Mac-G3-G4-G5-Airport-802-11-b-g-/220603457124?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item335cfd9e64

I've been traveling and still not gotten around to setting up the new
G5 for wireless. I appreciate every response to my query here. I am
wondering if anyone wants to evaluate a wireless card for me I see on
c/l for $15 locally. Think it will work out of the box in a G5? Is it
as fast as the others suggested here?

Model
Brand Rosewill
Model RNX-G300EXSpec
Standards IEEE 802.11b/g
Wireless Data Rates-Up to 54Mbps
Security-64/128bit WEP WPA WPA2 802.1x, 802.11i, AES, TKIP
WPA/WPA2WPA2
Interface-PCI Interface 2.2
Frequency Band-2.4GHz - 2.4835GHz
Channels-2.412~2.462GHz (Canada, FCC) / 11 Channels
2.412~2.484GHz (Japan, TELEC) / 14 Channels
2.412~2.472GHz (Euro, ETSI) / 13 Channels
Modulation-Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM)
Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (PBCC, CCK, DQPSK, DBPSK
Transmitted Power-11g: 14dBm (Max.)
11b: 18dBm (Max.)
Antenna-1 x External 2 dBi dipole antenna
System Requirements-Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (32/64 bit), Vista
(32/64 bit), Win7 (32/64 bit);
Mac 10.3/ 10.4/ 10.5
Features-Chipset: Ralink 2561T
Antenna Connector: RP-SMA connector, Cable Length: 100 cm
Media Access Protocol: CSMA/CA (Collision Avoidance) with ACK
11Mbps: -80dBm
Package Contents-1 x RNX-G300EX Wireless G Adapter
1 x Driver CD (including user manual, QIG and driver)
1 x 2 dBi Antenna with 100 cm cable