On 29/06/2012 05:44, "frrob" <fr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Greetings! A couple of other questions:
>
> I have two DVD drives mounted in my G4 MDD. One of them, a Pioneer DVD-RW
> burner, is kaput.
>
> I would like to replace it with a new combo DVD-RW burner. Some such drives
> listed on eBay are described as pulls from either G5s or Mac Pros, or as
> new drives intended for those machines. Are there any compatibility issues
> with such drives that would preclude their use in my G4?
>
> Also, I have 3 146 GB U160 SCSI drives I would like to set up as a RAID,
> internally. I have the SCSI PCI card I need. What I'd like to know is,
> would it be possible to mount two of those drives in one of the slots for
> the optical drives? I don't need a DVD-RW burner and and DVD-ROM. One of
> the slots in the HDD cage under the optical cage is free, so it seems to me
> that the issues are (a) getting the drives physically mounted, and (b)
> getting the cabling to work. Any thoughts? Would the SCSI drives in the
> optical cage get adequate cooling?
>
> Thanks again for your insight and suggestions!
>
> Rob Johansen

    I don't think 2 x 3.5 inch hds will fit into one 5.25 inch slot - one
perhaps with a little tinkering or maybe drilling for the fittings. Cooling
should not be a problem as the optical bay has it's own small cooling fan. I
used to have a Quicksilver with an ide drive in the zip bay...
    Is the other 2 x hd bay close to the processor already full? Six
internal hds - three configured as a scsi raid? What are the other three ide
drives for?

Pete