On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:21 AM, mythmaker18 wrote:

My Quicksilver G4 has suddenly developed what I can only describe as a power problem. I have it configured with three hard drives and an optical drive. Two hard drives (including boot drive) are connected to the standard hard-drive controller on the motherboard, the optical and third drive are connected to the other.

Hello Mythmaker:

Always go back to the simplest configuration, then vary until you find the problem.

Use the most trusted drive with the known good connection (CD ATA connection), then your other drives one by one on the more trusted (CD) connection, if that works, try the trusted drive with the suspect connection. Continue using one boot source at a time until problem reoccurs or adding additional drives causes the problem.

I suspect that your friends problem drive hurt your ATA controller. I used to trouble shoot drives all the time for friends and family, but I finally realized that a bad drive can damage your motherboard. I put problem drives in external drive cases or save to the side to be used alone. My drive and motherboard problems have dropped by about 90% over the past 3 years.

So, I'm guessing either the power supply is going bad or the primary ATA connector, unless someone has some other ideas?

You should be able to find pinouts (voltage for each pin of your power supply connector) on the web and use a voltmeter to check them.

Bob