I have a PPC G4 AGP graphics model, 450 mhz single processor with 2GB ram
running OS9.2.2 on a 120 GB Western Digital HD & OSX 10.4.11 on a 30GB
Maxtor HD.  When I shut the computer down (doesn't matter whether it is
running in OS9.2 or OSX) the fan in the power supply keeps running as does
the larger inside case fan, and a little red light near where the ram chips
are mounted stays lit, similarly to how it is lit when the machine is
running. It appears to shut down normally, and there is no signal output on
the screen, however the fans are still running.....?  For now I have been
unplugging the machine when it is not in use to prevent the fans from
running constantly however I am wondering why this is happening and if it
is ok to just continue to unplug it when not using it?  As soon as I plug
the power cable back into the computer, the fans start running but it does
not boot up until I push the start button and it then boots up normally
into either OS/HD. If I don't push the start button, it would just sit
there with the fans running.  Is this a signal of an upcoming problem with
the PSU?  Any easy fix other than replacing the PSU?

So far I have tried: resetting the CUDA switch and the PRAM to no avail.

This machine runs a SCSI desktop drum scanner in our photo studio and is
not used too often.  It is one of two machines we have just in case one
fails however due to living in Brasil at this time, and the fact that these
older parts are not easy to come by down here, I am hopeful to solve this
issue ahead of a more disastrous result .  Also, because it is not used
frequently, it is not an option for me to keep the machine running at all
times.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom