After a power outage, my external 500 gig Firewire Verbatim HD, (which
functioned as my boot drive for my eMac,) refused to power on. I took the unit
to MacHQ (a nearby Mac Repair Business) and they pulled the Samsung drive out
of the Verbatim enclosure and installed it into a Macally enclosure. When I
connected it to my network, the two 250 gig partitions appeared on the desktop
as expected. 1 icon of my OS and 1 icon of the generic Firewire HD graphic.
Since I wanted that unit to function again as my startup disk, I selected it in
the startup menu.  Everything seemed correct. Unfortunately, the unit would not
start the Mac. It clearly tried to be the startup disk, but at some point in
the procedure the Mac reverts to its internal smaller, older System on the
internal HD.

MacHQ suggested that the unit may have suffered some additional damage to the
file system when the power went off and recommended that I should Archive and
install a new System from my Leopard DVD to comb out any "bugs." After doing
that, unfortunately there was no change.  Even when selected as startup, the
Macally external will grind a short while but the internal HD eventually wins
out and that becomes the system of record every time.

I am at a loss. MacHQ is not sure, but postulated that there could be some
conflict with the new drive since it included eSATA capabilities that might
hinder the Firewire functioning. Try as I might, I can't get my head around
that concept. The fact is that the disk booted when it was in the other
Verbatim enclosure, the data on the disk all seems to be intact, the system is
spanking new,  and Disk Util sees the drive as bootable and perhaps most
importantly, Macally itself states on the info sheet that it is compatible all
the way back to 10.2.8 thru 10.6.

What ideas do any of you have as to what would cause the Leopard OS external HD
to be unable to boot the eMac like it did before?

Don Wakefield