----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Display Resolutions/Freq., MDD, R9000, Leopard
Date:    Monday, 30. July 2012
From:    "t...@prismnet.com" <t...@prismnet.com>
To:      "G-Group" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
> I have an MDD hooked up to an older IBM (T85A) LCD and I can't get it
> to display in anything other than 1152 X 870 @ 75Hz.
>
> The display supports up to 1280 X 1024, and on the exact same machine,
> when I boot the Tiger volume, 1280 X 1024 works fine.
>
> But in Leopard, every resolution except 1152 X 870 causes the monitor
> to fail to synch.

Try booting in safe mode.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift
key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before
the tone.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress
indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

> The video card is a stock ATI Radeon 9000.   The display is connected
> via VGA through a DVI to VGA adapter.

Don’t know… normally Leopard handles displays much better than Tiger and
previous Mac OS X versions did. How I understand it, Leopard interprets the
EDID information from the display and sets the modes accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID

> I tried downloading the ATI 4.5.7 drivers and installed them, but,
> while I can see that it added some components, it does not seem to
> have affected the issue.

The ATI Radeon 9000 graphics card works out-of-the-box with all Mac OS X
version from 10.2 onward (on PowerPC, not on Intel).

> I'm pretty sure it used to work, before I had a hard drive failure
> (the Tiger drive, not the Leopard drive) and started the
> reinstallation process.  Somewhere along the way I replaced the PRAM
> battery and zapped PRAM and I think that's when the display choices
> stopped working.

The last graphics mode is stored in PRAM and reused, even if you enter Open
Firmware (by holding Opt+Alt+O+F). This can sometimes be kind of annoying,
because scrolling in unaccellerated graphics mode (like in Open Firmware) is
getting slower with higher resolutions/color depths.

> According to the documentation, the display supports these modes:
>
> VGA: 640x350 70Hz
> 640x480 60, 66 (MAC), 72, 75Hz
> 720x400 70Hz
> SVGA: 800x600 56, 60, 72, 75Hz
> 832x624 75Hz (Apple)
> XGA: 1024x768 60, 70, 75 (MAC), 75Hz
> 1152x870 75Hz (Apple)
> SXGA: 1280x1024 60, 72 (HP), 75, 76Hz (Sun)

> Any ideas?

You may try adding this line to kernel boot args:
"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"

1st Method: com.apple.Boot.plist
====
Do this from you woring Tiger installation:
1. Boot into Tiger
2. Start Terminal.app
3. Type:
  sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
(or, if you’re more confortable with Textedit:)
  sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add/Change the following key:
  <key>Graphics Mode</key>
  <string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

4. Save, and reboot.

2nd Method: Firmware
====
Do this from you woring Tiger installation:
1. Boot into Tiger
2. Start Terminal.app
3. Type:
  sudo nvram boot-args="\"Graphics Mode\"=\"1280x1024x32@60\""
(you can copy&paste this line in terminal if you want: Cmd+C, Cmd+V)
4. Reboot…

This is easily reversible:
In 3., type
  sudo nvram boot-args=""

Alternatively you can reset everything by holding Cmd+Opt+P+R when you hear
the chime, until you hear it again (to be safe, until you hear it three times
in total), then release the keys (and hold the Opt key after the third chime
if you want to select the OS you want to boot into).

Hope this works,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250