Nice analogy. However  you do not need to know much to use Audacity. I was
introduced to it in University where they try to get software for basic
student use that  is common to a class yet does not bear even more
financial burden. Many students struggle to buy books  and other gear.

Audacity was used in all of our  NLE and webmedia courses  as a tool for
audio capture mostly but some introductory process work as well. It has
just gotten better over the years. In it's way Audacity is far better than
the image processor GIMP which suffers a much worse interface, and much
more inaccurate and misleading instructions and tutorials.

Powerful, yes. Usable? Absolutely.

And a CNC machine that easy to get started on would invite further
experimentation for sure. It might even be a source for a world of fun.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu
> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Tom wrote:
>

> > Another thing I found: if you hit Stop, and the capture stops, and then
> you hit Record again, it starts recording back at the beginning again,
> recording right over what you've already got, so you don't want to do that.
> (Maybe I should choose a second capture window?)
>
> You need to save what you've captured , open a new capture file, or do
> like the popup tool tip tells you, 'hold down shift to append recording'.
>
> Part of the issue here is that Audacity is an extremely powerful, mature,
> pro-level audio processing tool that happens to be open source.
>
> It's kind of like buying a $30k CNC mill, attaching a sanding drum to it,
> and using it to sharpen your pencils.
>

> --
> Bruce Johnson
>
> "Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD
>
> --

Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer
fluxstrin...@gmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/