On 13 Aug 2012, at 19:32:15 PDT, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

The colour of the cable doesn't necessarily mean anything. However, it might say on the markings. If it says PATCH on the markings of the cable jacket,
it is NOT a crossover cable.

Er, it is *probably* not a crossover cable. I guess there could be some pathologic DIYer who uses patch cable but wires it up in reverse. My crossover
cables actually say CROSSOVER on them, however.
Easiest way is to hold the two ends of the cable together, in the same position, and look at the colored wires through the connectors. If the wires are the same in both, you have a "regular" cable. If not, you most likely have a "crossover" cable.

Ken