Hello all,

This is my first post, so I shall kick off my tenure here by telling of my most
recent acquisition.

At a local used electronics store, I spied a QS tower, listed as "barebones"
since it was missing the operating system (a seemingly easy fix). After
inspecting the inside, and turning it on to confirm the flashing question mark,
I plunked down a mere $50 for it. Even if I couldn't get it back on line, the
$50 was cheap for the scavangable components inside.

In its heyday in 2002, this beast would have run about $3000. In 2012, I just
needed it to run some data programs I am building. Upon arriving home, I
attempted to install X 10.4 on its 80gb hard drive. It kernel panicked from the
install disk. A PRAM reset allowed me to install the OS. I set it to watch a
DVD as a test run, and it seemed ok. At that point, I made the move for OS
10.5, which is required for the program I have written. Not long after,
however, the kernel panics resumed.

Sometimes I got the kernel panic screen with the text, and other times the
screen would just drop pixels or have weird lines, and freeze. I eyed the video
card or processors as culprits. First thing was to repair permissions, which
took forever as they were a mess.

The panics continued. In order to run hardware test, I had to remove an
aftermarket FireWire800 PCI card. It checked out ok on loop mode after 12+ runs.

I took out a ton of dust from the interior (there was an incredible amount
caked on). I ran memtest over and over and indeed pulled out a bad unit of RAM
(I should have known, since the sticker says VODI IF REMOVED). The panics
continued.

Processor intensive tasks seemed to egg on the panics; everything from C&C
Generals to Spotlight indexing (mdworker in panic logs), to my own data
analysis programs triggered the dreaded crashes.

At my wit's end, I figured I would have to swap out video cards from my other
G4 (466 DA) to narrow it down. Before trying that, I popped the heatsink off to
inspect the processors. They were caked in dust just as the rest of the unit
had been, and their thermal pads and grease were burned away.

I applied Arctic Silver and hoped for the best.

It turns out that was the trick! The processors had been overheating. This
monster is now maxed out with RAM, with various PCI cards, and running my
programs like a champ!

The whole debugging process took about 2 weeks.

--CIC