I have two monitors on a PowerMac G4 (dual 500MHz): one is a Viewsonic
on DVI, the other an Apple Studio 17" on ADC.
Is it normal that I can’t adjust the brightness on the Apple monitor
now?
There’s no slider for it in the screen’s preferences, and pressing the
button on the screen frame doesn’t bring up the usual dialog.
Maybe I should mention that both monitors are connected to the same
graphics card, a GeForce4 MX (AGP).

If this is indeed the common behaviour, my theory is that the OS
(10.4.11) can’t get a handle on the Viewsonic’s brightness, and then
disables the software control for both.
But I think it’s strange, given that other settings can be adjusted
for each screen separately.