On Dec 6, 2012, at 1:15 PM, JohnV <vengbj...@verizon.net> wrote:

> G5 1.8 dual running 10.4.11.
> 2 monitors DELL wide and a Westinghouse 1.33
>
> It's all ben real stable but today I see that teh square Westinghouse monitor
> has very slight repeating lighter and darker horizontal 1' bands that slowly
> drift from top to bottom with a little bit of a flicker to them.
>
> Something awry? or is it a harbinger of Unpleasantry Soon To Come?

Back in Ye Aulden Daze this was very common when using two CRT's connected to
different video cards; the vertical clocks were never exactly synchronized so
your eye saw a moving band down one monitor and up the next. The cure was to
get a video card that supported dual monitors so the same clock signal drove
both of them.

You don't mention if either of these is a CRT.

It's possible that the Westinghouse has been set to something like 70hz, while
the other is set to 72 hz, and your brain is putting the flicker in there (as
in the case of the old CRT monitors the 'flicker' is actually a stroboscopic
effect, not an actual flicker.)

Unplug or turn off the Dell. If the flicker goes away on the Westinghouse, then
it's a stoboscopic effect, look to adjusting the monitor frquencies. If it
persists, then yes it's a sign the monitor is going south.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona