On Dec 20, 2012, at 2:02 PM, JohnV <vengbj...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Following you as best I can here's what I got:
>

> Last login: Thu Dec 20 13:58:45 on ttyp1
> Welcome to Darwin!
> new-host:~ johnvengrouskie$ cd /Volumes/<G5 HD2 Sg2t>
> -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
> new-host:~ johnvengrouskie$ cd /Volumes/<G5\ HD2\ SG2T>
> -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

Oops, forgot to tell you that the <>'s were illustrative! Sorry!

> new-host:~ johnvengrouskie$ cd /Volumes/G5\ HD2\ SG2T
> new-host:/Volumes/G5 HD2 SG2T johnvengrouskie$ ls -al
> total 688
> drwxrwxrwx   23 johnveng  johnveng     884 Dec 18 15:49 .
> drwxrwxrwt   10 root      admin        340 Dec 18 15:41 ..
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnveng  johnveng   21508 Dec 20 13:50 .DS_Store
> drw-rw-rw-    7 root      johnveng     238 Dec 18 15:41 .Spotlight-V100
> drwxrwxrwt    3 johnveng  johnveng     102 Nov 29  2011 .TemporaryItems
> drwxrwxrwt    3 root      admin        102 Dec 18 15:41 .Trashes
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnveng  johnveng       0 Nov 24  2011
> .com.apple.timemachine.supported
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnveng  johnveng       0 Dec 18 15:48
> .com.bombich.ccc.start_time
> drwxrwxrwx    3 johnveng  johnveng     102 Nov 24  2011 AA DRESCUE WORK
> drwxrwxrwx    4 johnveng  johnveng     136 Dec  5  2011 AA TEMP BACKUP OF g5
> drwxrw-rw-    5 johnveng  johnveng     170 Sep  9 16:51 Desktop

Ok, I think I know what's going on here, this is your old user account? I
suspect the issue is that your userid (not username, but the numeric userID
that OS X actually uses to know who you are) is different on the old sytem, and
so the Finder thinks you shouldn't be able to get in there, even though you
can. You see the same thing if you create another user on your mac, and then go
into the Users folder and get into the other user's directory, you see the same
- signs

This cab be fixed, probably, by takeing ownership via a command in Terminal:
(and this time it's the exact command, you can copy and paste this line)

sudo chown -R johnveng:johnveng /Volumes/G5\ HD2\ SG2T

This CHanges OWNership, recursively, of all the files in that directory to your
username and default group (as of 10.3 or 10.4 your default group is a group
with the same name as your user directory)

This should get rid of the - signs

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona